Room 2, Makarewa School, Year 1-3. Teacher: Dianne Cowan.
The topic for both of these Lego movies came from our Integrated Topic for Term 3, which was Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. In this topic time the children have been focusing on a variety of science, social science and technology concepts centered on this theme. During the unit the children had noticed that there are a lot of people in their community/school who litter and don’t care. Mid way thorough the unit the children were given the challenge of using the Lego movie medium as a means of getting the
“Caring For Our Environment “ message across to other children their age in a format that would captivate and hopefully motivate some positive action.
• The children were divided into groups of four.
• They were given the brief that their movie had to relate to our theme Caring For The Environment.
• They wrote their script as a group.
• Conferenced with myself and we discussed what they would need to produce their script i.e. Lego pieces, scenery, location etc.
• Children and myself had a lesson in making a Lego movie on an i – pad by one of the School’s I.C.T. facilitators..
• Children made their movie.
• Viewed initial movie and class and teacher made suggestions on improvements that could be made.
• Children made their own edits frame by frame e.g. fingers in the way, chair legs visible etc. These edits took place over a number of sessions. As they re shot each edit frame by frame.
• Final check in with teacher.